Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
ThreadCity.com Home

Home ThreadCity.org Postings ThreadCity.com original posts HelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Homes on Trapella Road next to former P&W complex (Read 1288 times)
Walker

Penfold says -- I am a
hamster NOT a gopher

Willimantic
Homes on Trapella Road next to former P&W complex
Apr 23rd, 2015 at 6:29pm

Answering a phone call I happened onto Trapella Road, right alongside General Cable formerly home to Pratt & Whitney. I understand that during WWII the area was dedicated to the war effort and have even heard rumors that the plant was camouflaged from above by flooding the roof with water somehow, so that it would look like a lake to any German reconnaissance.

I don't know about that, but I did notice the row of very small rectangular houses lining both sides of Trapella Road.

They remind me of the still mostly intact "temporary" housing down in Groton just off of Depot Road where there are at least a couple hundred homes along Depot & Industrial Drive which used also used to be a major military supply area. That maze of streets was built in the 1940's to house the many necessary military supply men (and women, like Rosie the Riveter - Norman Rockwell's model for Rosie just passed away...).

Nowadays people mostly travel down Depot Road to get to Bluff Point State Park, home of a spectacular Long Island Sound beach that is virtually deserted even during the height of summer...if you don't mind a mile-long hike to get to it.

But back to Trapella. While reminiscent of the Groton worker housing project, there are only about 20 homes there now versus the hundreds in Groton. Can anyone confirm they too were temporary quarters? Maybe there were more houses before the Route 6 connector went through that part of town?

IP Logged

Pete Zizka
Forum Moderator

ThreadCity.com Discussion
Forum

Windham, CT
Re: Homes on Trapella Road next to former P&W complex
Reply #1 - Apr 24th, 2015 at 9:33am

I'll look into that. Might be interesting research.

IP Logged

Pete Zizka
Forum Moderator

Forum

Windham, CT
Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2015 at 9:42am

Hi Walker---- it looks like many of the houses on Trapella Road were post WWII. I found an ad for one of the developers. I can't post photos here so I posted it in Gallery 49 (Misc. Photos). I found some info on the relocation of RT 6 and the fact that it COULD displace up to 30 families on Trapella Road but I could not find out the actual results.
http://threadcity.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=54&pos=0

IP Logged

Walker

Penfold says -- I am a
hamster NOT a gopher

Willimantic
Reply #3 - Apr 24th, 2015 at 6:12pm

Thanks for the great ad, Pete! So they weren't WWII vintage but instead post-war. Funny how 1950's houses were tiny but 1950's cars were huge!

Here are a few as they stand today-

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.724579,-72.24361,3a,75y,294.25h,91.43t/data=!3m4...

IP Logged

Pete Zizka
Forum Moderator

Forum

Windham, CT
Reply #4 - Apr 28th, 2015 at 10:08am

What I'm told is that Trapella Rd. looped around toward the west and there was another road there, Brown Avenue so I'm told.

IP Logged

Joseph Beaulieu

Forum

Reply #5 - Aug 12th, 2016 at 10:54am

Pete from what I know these  houses were built around the early 1940 for the Pratt & Whitney bosses or workers, and was known as Browns Ave & Trappella Rd , when the State took Browns Ave some of the houses were moved to Trappella RD so the Highway could be put in. Yes the two roads made a horse shoe and can you name the restaurant that was between the two roads.
J Beaulieu

IP Logged

Pete Zizka
Forum Moderator

Forum

Windham, CT
Reply #6 - Aug 13th, 2016 at 7:10am

Taking a wild guess, Al, I'd say "Kerman's". Back in high school I worked part time at Butler Dairy and I remember delivering there early in the morning on the way to Coventry. That's about the only place I remember in that area.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print