ThreadCity.com

ThreadCity.com Homepage

If you have photos and would like to see them here, Contact Us


Home ::
Album list :: Search

> Gallery 04 - Willi Spots

pic5d.jpg
Close
Filename=pic5d.jpg Filesize=89KB Dimensions=1024x586 Date added=Feb 26, 2010
Hosmer Mountain Reservoir The Hosmer Mountain Reservoir was an integral part of the city's water works. It is pictured here six years after completion in 1894, and provides a fascinating view of Willimantic before the forest reclaimed the hill.
fairgrounds.jpg
Close
Filename=fairgrounds.jpg Filesize=292KB Dimensions=1853x1000 Date added=Oct 31, 2012
gall34.jpg
Close
Filename=gall34.jpg Filesize=43KB Dimensions=640x365 Date added=Oct 31, 2012
park spring.JPG
Close
Filename=park spring.JPG Filesize=183KB Dimensions=500x661 Date added=Oct 31, 2012
willimanric-cem-postcard-a.jpg
Close
Filename=willimanric-cem-postcard-a.jpg Filesize=979KB Dimensions=960x609 Date added=Dec 07, 2012
Pic of the Week - December 6, 2012This is the entrance to the Willimantic Cemetery
4-27-2017 - woods field.jpg
Close
Filename=4-27-2017 - woods field.jpg Filesize=360KB Dimensions=2027x680 Date added=May 04, 2017
Wood's FieldA baseball game is being played at Wood’s Field which was located near the northern intersection of Jackson and Ash Streets. For many years, it was the site of league baseball games, other civic events and, at least one time, a circus performed there.
pic4.jpg
Close
Filename=pic4.jpg Filesize=105KB Dimensions=1024x651 Date added=Jun 03, 2010
Dr. Mason's HospitalThis picture is of Dr. Mason's Hospital at Fairview Avenue in 1920. It was built in 1880 as a home by William Barrows, the president of the Willimantic Linen Company. The rambling mansion was purchased circa 1908 by Dr. Louis Irving Mason (1865-1930), and in 1911 he built the extension on the rear. In 1939 it became the home of the Spector family, and also the site of summer theatre, thus laying the roots of the Windham Theatre Guild. The magnificent building was demolished in 1979.
4-20-2017-river walk.jpg
Close
Filename=4-20-2017-river walk.jpg Filesize=225KB Dimensions=1033x1051 Date added=Apr 21, 2017
Steps at The Willimantic Camp Meeting AssociationThis photo shows what was known as “The Stone Steps”. They led to the Willimantic Camp Meeting Association’s grounds. We are told that the stairs are still there and that the little wooded area they led to was called "The Trysting Place", a park where young lovers could walk and talk.
pic6e.jpg
Close
Filename=pic6e.jpg Filesize=135KB Dimensions=1024x637 Date added=Jun 03, 2010
Willimantic Moose ClubThe Willimantic Moose Club, local 1440, was located in this fine house on the north side of Pleasant Street for many years. The house was built in 1848 for John Tracy, the Agent for the Windham Manufacturing Company's mills on Bridge Street. Tracy was a founder of the Willimantic Savings Institute in 1842. The building still stands just west of the Armoury. The Moose Club subsequently moved to Brook Street, and took over the old Polish Club, when that institution built a new club on Ives Street circa 1933.
6-15-2017-pow-a.JPG
Close
Filename=6-15-2017-pow-a.JPG Filesize=354KB Dimensions=1014x1600 Date added=Jun 22, 2017
Entrance to Dr. Mason's HospitalThis was the entrance to Dr. Mason’s Hospital on Fairview Street. Dr. Mason practiced in Willimantic from 1909 to 1930. The hospital was originally built in 1881 as a home for Willimantic Linen Company president William Barrows. The building was demolished in 1974.
December12.jpg
Close
Filename=December12.jpg Filesize=166KB Dimensions=1024x684 Date added=Dec 12, 2010
Park Spring Here is an early photo of Park Spring. Pic of the Week for December 12, 2010

April28.jpg
Close
Filename=April28.jpg Filesize=129KB Dimensions=1024x645 Date added=Apr 29, 2011
Park SpringsPic of the Week - April 29, 2011
The house in this turn-of-the-century postcard is still in existence. The children pictured here are overlooking Park Springs. For many years, this whole section of Willimantic was known as "Park Springs".
August04-2011.jpg
Close
Filename=August04-2011.jpg Filesize=119KB Dimensions=1024x678 Date added=Aug 05, 2011
Willimantic FairgroundsPic of the Week - August 05, 2011
The "Gypsy Camp" was part of the attractions on the midway at the Willimantic Fairgrounds.
2-23-2017.jpg
Close
Filename=2-23-2017.jpg Filesize=668KB Dimensions=1752x1276 Date added=Feb 24, 2017
Recreation ParkThis was the eastern entrance to Recreation Park. The American Thread Company’s wooden Mill Number 3 can be seen on the right.
5-11-2017 pow.jpg
Close
Filename=5-11-2017 pow.jpg Filesize=251KB Dimensions=1656x1043 Date added=May 11, 2017
"The River Path"This was known as “River Path” or “River Walk”. It was authorized by the Court of Burgesses in July 1880 and was to be a walkway from Main Street to the New London Northern railway bridge and from there to Pleasant Street. It connected to a “flight of steps from the river bank to Pleasant Street” constructed by A.R. Morrison in 1879. According to newspaper reports, it was “well patronized and appreciated by parties living in that vicinity”. It was later replaced by the footbridge.
 
15 files on 1 page(s)