ThreadCity.com

ThreadCity.com Homepage

If you have photos and would like to see them here, Contact Us


Home ::
Album list :: Search

> Gallery 35 - End of an Era

goodbyewilli-1.jpg
Close
Filename=goodbyewilli-1.jpg Filesize=262KB Dimensions=1024x1034 Date added=Jun 24, 2011
Mourning the CityOn May 31, 1983, the evening before Willimantic (as a city) ceased to exist, mourners held a wake and processed up Main St. The consolidation culminated a 30 year effort to unite city and town and ended Willimantic's 150 year history as a separate political entity.
endofera-tc-1~0.jpg
Close
Filename=endofera-tc-1~0.jpg Filesize=93KB Dimensions=1024x717 Date added=Sep 22, 2011
Loomer's is almost goneThe Loomer Opera House (center of photo) is being razed. Only the first floor remains. It was built in 1860 and razed in 1939. The building was sold by Loomer's estate to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology so that the architectural and structural styles of the period could be studied.
endofera-2.jpg
Close
Filename=endofera-2.jpg Filesize=154KB Dimensions=991x788 Date added=Oct 31, 2012
Crowds greeting the return of the "Montrealer".The
1Ken.jpg
Close
Filename=1Ken.jpg Filesize=108KB Dimensions=1024x640 Date added=Oct 31, 2010
Uncle Ken'sUncle Ken's before demolition. Uncle Ken's started out as the Tastee Freez. It was torn down along with the building that housed Boudreau's Market, in March, 2006. "Walker" alerted ThreadCity to the demise of the building on the TCForum and it generated quite a response
UncleKens-a.jpg
Close
Filename=UncleKens-a.jpg Filesize=193KB Dimensions=1024x768 Date added=Oct 31, 2010
Uncle Ken'sUncle Ken's demolition
Submitted by: W. Walker
UncleKens-b.jpg
Close
Filename=UncleKens-b.jpg Filesize=163KB Dimensions=1024x768 Date added=Oct 31, 2010
Uncle Ken'sUncle Ken's demolition
Submitted by: W. Walker
UncleKens-c.jpg
Close
Filename=UncleKens-c.jpg Filesize=168KB Dimensions=1024x768 Date added=Oct 31, 2010
Uncle Ken'sUncle Ken's demolition
Submitted by: W. Walker
sept-22-2011.jpg
Close
Filename=sept-22-2011.jpg Filesize=83KB Dimensions=1024x717 Date added=Sep 23, 2011
Demolition of the Loomer Opera HousePic of the Week - September 23, 2011
The Loomer Opera House was being demolished and all that remained was the first floor.
8 files on 1 page(s)