ThreadCity.com

ThreadCity.com Homepage

If you have photos and would like to see them here, Contact Us


Home ::
Album list :: Search

> Gallery 37 - Windham Bridges

pic01.jpg
Close
Filename=pic01.jpg Filesize=138KB Dimensions=1024x729 Date added=Jan 23, 2011
The American Thread "bridge"The American Thread "bridge" that welcomed travelers to Willimantic between 1916 and 1998
pic06.jpg
Close
Filename=pic06.jpg Filesize=154KB Dimensions=1024x751 Date added=Jan 23, 2011
Willimantic footbridgeThe Willimantic footbridge can be seen from the Willimantic's Union Railroad Station in 1910.
pic02.jpg
Close
Filename=pic02.jpg Filesize=170KB Dimensions=1024x666 Date added=Jan 23, 2011
Lyman Jordan's 1857 stone arch bridge Lyman Jordan's 1857 stone arch bridge pictured in 1900. It is being traversed by a horse and buggy, but the introduction trolley cars to Willimantic in 1903 instigated a movement to build a new highway bridge.
pic04.jpg
Close
Filename=pic04.jpg Filesize=159KB Dimensions=1024x659 Date added=Jan 23, 2011
Lyman Jordan's 1857 bridgeLyman Jordan's 1857 bridge, soon to become a decorative walkway and part of the Windham Mills State Park, is pictured in 1906 looking west.
pic05.jpg
Close
Filename=pic05.jpg Filesize=108KB Dimensions=764x900 Date added=Jan 23, 2011
Willimantic footbridgeThis 1908 aerial view of the Willimantic footbridge clearly shows the bend in the construction caused by its hurried construction two years earlier.
pic03.jpg
Close
Filename=pic03.jpg Filesize=166KB Dimensions=1024x650 Date added=Jan 23, 2011
Stone arch bridge in 1920A trolley car crosses the stone arch bridge in 1920, revealing the need for a new highway bridge - a bridge that would not be built until more than 60 years after the demise of the trolley cars.
pic07.jpg
Close
Filename=pic07.jpg Filesize=123KB Dimensions=1024x691 Date added=Jan 23, 2011
Bridge over the horseshoe bend of the Shetucket River This bridge over the horseshoe bend of the Shetucket River on Bricktop Road was replaced in 1987. Note its camelback steel truss construction, a popular design for highway bridges before World War One. Note the weight limitations on the sign to the right.
pic11.jpg
Close
Filename=pic11.jpg Filesize=142KB Dimensions=1024x691 Date added=Jan 23, 2011
Wooden covered bridgeSouth Windham's historic wooden covered bridge was replaced in 1910 to accommodate growing automobile traffic.
pic09.jpg
Close
Filename=pic09.jpg Filesize=100KB Dimensions=611x900 Date added=Jan 23, 2011
Foundations of the Jillson MillThe foundations of the Jillson mill pictured shortly before bridge construction began in early 1999.
pic10.jpg
Close
Filename=pic10.jpg Filesize=151KB Dimensions=1024x666 Date added=Jan 23, 2011
Most historic bridge in WillimanticThis bridge is one of the most historic in Willimantic, but few know of its existence. It is pictured here in a 1939 aerial view. The bridge was built under electric floodlight in 1880. It is well known however to those who worked at the American Thread Company. It was the connection to Mill Number Four, the large cotton mill destroyed by fire in 1995.
pic12.jpg
Close
Filename=pic12.jpg Filesize=174KB Dimensions=1024x763 Date added=Jan 23, 2011
South Windham's covered bridgeThe entrance to South Windham's covered bridge, photographed a century ago.
pic13.jpg
Close
Filename=pic13.jpg Filesize=199KB Dimensions=1024x626 Date added=Jan 23, 2011
Southwest view WillimanticThis is a circa 1837 drawing by John Warner Barber of the southwest view Willimantic. The Windham Manufacturing Company's cotton mills can be seen on the left. This wooden bridge over the Willimantic River was constantly being damaged by floods, and was eventually replaced by the largest stone arch bridge in Connecticut, built by Lyman Jordan in 1869
pic14.jpg
Close
Filename=pic14.jpg Filesize=123KB Dimensions=1024x575 Date added=Jan 23, 2011
1869 stone arch bridgeJordan's magnificent 1869 stone arch bridge still carries Bridge Street over the Willimantic River. The view is looking west, and the mills in the distance belong to the Windham Manufacturing Company. The photograph was taken in 1891.
pic15.jpg
Close
Filename=pic15.jpg Filesize=147KB Dimensions=1024x705 Date added=Jan 23, 2011
Lyman Jordan's 1869 Bridge Street Bridge The largest stone arch bridge in Connecticut (1869-1908), Lyman Jordan's 1869 Bridge Street Bridge is pictured looking east down the Willimantic River in 1908.
tc-bridges-a.jpg
Close
Filename=tc-bridges-a.jpg Filesize=271KB Dimensions=620x446 Date added=May 11, 2013
Bridge Street Jordan's 1869 stone arch bridge with the former Quidnick-Windham mill in the background.
bridge-ehjnie.jpg
Close
Filename=bridge-ehjnie.jpg Filesize=38KB Dimensions=760x426 Date added=Jun 20, 2013
20 files on 2 page(s) 1