ThreadCity.com

ThreadCity.com Homepage

If you have photos and would like to see them here, Contact Us


Home ::
Album list :: Search

> Gallery 07 - Businesses - Pre 1930

laramee.jpg
Close
Filename=laramee.jpg Filesize=917KB Dimensions=864x648 Date added=May 12, 2016
The Laramee CompanyThe Laramee Company’s delivery vehicles and staff are shown outside the market which was located at 22 North Street. The Laramee Company was one of the first local businesses to install refrigerated cases for meats and other goods. The man with the boater hat was owner Pierre J. Laramee who later became Mayor of Willimantic.
pow-2-2-12.jpg
Close
Filename=pow-2-2-12.jpg Filesize=129KB Dimensions=1024x698 Date added=Feb 02, 2012
The Laramee Company
This is the interior of The Laramee Company meat market and grocery store on North Street. It was owned by Pierre J. Laramee (on the far right of the picture) who went on to become Mayor of Willimantic and a State Senator. Pic of the Week February 02, 2012
7-20-2017_pow-a.jpg
Close
Filename=7-20-2017_pow-a.jpg Filesize=727KB Dimensions=1543x973 Date added=Aug 03, 2017
Larrabee's Grocery in The Chronicle buildingThe Chronicle Building on Church Street was completed in 1887. The newspaper occupied a portion of the second and third floors. Besides Frank Larrabee’s grocery store, a doctor P.V. Smith practiced dentistry in the building.Over the years, the Chronicle needed more and more space and finally took over the whole building.
5-4-2017-pow.jpg
Close
Filename=5-4-2017-pow.jpg Filesize=143KB Dimensions=1081x784 Date added=May 11, 2017
Carpenter and Fowler's storeThis is the Carpenter and Fowler storefront. It was located to the right of Marshall Tilden’s business block. Carpenter and Fowler later became Carpenter and Jordan and then Jordan Brothers Hardware. In 1906, the Jordan Brothers bought the Tilden Block next door and in 1916 the building was destroyed in one of Willimantic’s most spectacular fires.
shea block-eves.jpg
Close
Filename=shea block-eves.jpg Filesize=452KB Dimensions=1154x1860 Date added=Aug 27, 2014
Dennis O'Shea's Bottling WorksWillimantic entrepreneur Dennis Shea operated a bottling works out of this building. He dealt in wine, beer, ales and mineral water from the late nineteenth century until 1905. Shea owned several other buildings in the city. Pic of the week for June 19, 2014
2-11-2016-pow.jpg
Close
Filename=2-11-2016-pow.jpg Filesize=369KB Dimensions=1547x1051 Date added=Feb 11, 2016
"The Chronicle"This photo shows the machinery and workers at “The Chronicle” which, at that time, was located on Church Street.
3-24-2016.jpg
Close
Filename=3-24-2016.jpg Filesize=536KB Dimensions=2048x1471 Date added=Mar 24, 2016
Noheimer's Meat Market?This is, we believe, the interior of Noheimer’s Meat Market on Church Street.
threadcity garage.jpg
Close
Filename=threadcity garage.jpg Filesize=98KB Dimensions=1000x631 Date added=May 11, 2013
Thread City GarageThe Thread City Garage was located off Main St. in back of where the present day Nathan Hale Hotel stands. Parts of the brick walls are standing today and can be seen to the left of the present day firehouse. A spectacular fire in 1915 ruined that garage as well as the Natchaug Garage and the Johnson House Hotel. The Thread City Garage rebuilt and remained in business until sometime in the 1930s. Photo courtesy of Armand Biron.
2-4-2016-f.JPG
Close
Filename=2-4-2016-f.JPG Filesize=60KB Dimensions=859x356 Date added=Feb 11, 2016
Odell Chapman - 2
pow-05-10-12.jpg
Close
Filename=pow-05-10-12.jpg Filesize=137KB Dimensions=1024x717 Date added=May 24, 2012
Louis Feiner's "Mechanics Department Store"The picture is of Louis Feiner’s "Mechanics Department Store" in the Franklin Hall Block on Main Street. Louis feiner also conducted business at "The Windham House Hotel". He leased another store in the Hall Block on Union Street and opened a ladies cloak and millinery store.
6-08-17_from_TC_site-a.jpg
Close
Filename=6-08-17_from_TC_site-a.jpg Filesize=83KB Dimensions=1024x669 Date added=Jun 10, 2017
Whitford's BakeryHenry Whitford's Bakery. 210 Walnut Street.
12-18-14pow.jpg
Close
Filename=12-18-14pow.jpg Filesize=852KB Dimensions=936x685 Date added=Dec 18, 2014
Fullerton Fournier The interior of the Fullerton Fournier clothing store is decorated for Christmas. The women’s clothing store, located at 692 Main St.(part of what was once called "The Union Block" - it was just opposite Church Street) , was started by James Fullerton in the early 1900s. In 1934, Albert Fournier, who had bought the store previously, reorganized the store and incorporated it as Fullerton-Fournier.
7-16-2015-POW.jpg
Close
Filename=7-16-2015-POW.jpg Filesize=197KB Dimensions=1923x1308 Date added=Jul 15, 2015
Gilbert's SaloonGilbert's Saloon was at 81 Main St. In 1910, Willimantic had over 23 saloons in town, many of them in the lower Main Street (Sodom) area.
2-4-2016-e.JPG
Close
Filename=2-4-2016-e.JPG Filesize=42KB Dimensions=331x495 Date added=Feb 11, 2016
Odell Chapman - 3
7-17-14a-chron.jpg
Close
Filename=7-17-14a-chron.jpg Filesize=814KB Dimensions=1917x1496 Date added=Jul 24, 2014
Dry goods peddler Sam Haddad and his sonThey are in front of 62-66 Church Street. The store on the left belonged to Hiram Fenn. He was not only an undertaker but also a photographer and picture frame maker. He took many of the vintage photos of Willimantic that were turned into postcards. The other store belonged to grocer Frank Blish. Pic of the Week July 17, 2014
7-9-15pow.jpg
Close
Filename=7-9-15pow.jpg Filesize=835KB Dimensions=1440x925 Date added=Jul 15, 2015
Oscar Tanner's "O.T. Cafe"Willimantic Mayor Oscar O. Tanner (on the right wearing the porkpie hat) stands outside his “O.T. Cafe” which was located at the corner of North and Main Streets. The Thread City Bottling Works carriage belonged to Willimantic entrepreneur Dennis O’Shea, a partner of Tanner’s and whose establishment was on Union Street.
87 files on 6 page(s) 1