ThreadCity.com

ThreadCity.com Homepage

If you have photos and would like to see them here, Contact Us


Home ::
Album list :: Search

> Gallery 07 - Businesses - Pre 1930

April24.jpg
Close
Filename=April24.jpg Filesize=85KB Dimensions=1024x730 Date added=Apr 24, 2010
Cardinal SaloonSylvanie Cardinal’s (1869-1933) legacy to Willimantic was an impressive commercial building that once stood at the heart of "Sodom" on the northeast junction of Main Street and Ash Street
sept-15-2011.jpg
Close
Filename=sept-15-2011.jpg Filesize=83KB Dimensions=1024x643 Date added=Sep 15, 2011
C.A. Hawkins' Willimantic Carriage and Jobbing ShopPic of the Week - September 15, 2011
C.A. Hawkins' Willimantic Carriage and Jobbing Shop was located at the corner of Jackson and Ash St. It was later moved a short distance away and today is being used as a storage area for a private residence.

May20.jpg
Close
Filename=May20.jpg Filesize=104KB Dimensions=1024x552 Date added=May 20, 2011
Adams and Company Meat MarketPic of the Week - May 20, 2011
In this pic, we'll start with the building at the very left of the picture. That is 931 Main St. and was once known as "the Gelinas Block" and then "the Mazzola Block". The middle building (with the Eagle Ale sign) is the saloon of Arthur McQuillan. McQuillans was a popular spot. Notice that the sign actually spells his name wrong. While it was "McQuillan in newspaper ads and the city directory, the sign says "McQuillian" - with an extra "i". Maybe it was painted by a patron who had one too many. The building on the right of McQuillan's (the two story house with a business on the street level) was 921-927 Main St. with "S. Adams and Co. Meat Market" at 921. Today it is the site of the Willimantic Public Library. Determining street numbers of past buildings is not always an exact science when applying them to today's buildings. The Library today is listed at 905 Main. Many of the buildings in earlier years consisted of 2 or more addresses depending upon how many floors a building had. But we'll happily accept any corrections

April02.jpg
Close
Filename=April02.jpg Filesize=135KB Dimensions=798x1024 Date added=Apr 03, 2011
SW Corner of Valley and North StreetsPic of the Week - April 03, 2011
This is an engraving of a building that was demolished during Willimantic's "Redevelopment" period. The main floor was used primarily by a funeral parlor and the upper floors were evidently rented rooms and/or apartments. For many years, Hiram Fenn worked an apprentice undertaker at the funeral parlor even as he pursued his hobby of photography. Scores of his historical photos of Willimantic and vicinity are in existence today.
April17.jpg
Close
Filename=April17.jpg Filesize=143KB Dimensions=1024x702 Date added=Apr 17, 2010
Atwood Block storefrontwas of the storefront that, at the end of the building’s life, was occupied by Curran’s Pharmacy. However, the building itself had undergone several renovations over the decades. The actual building was put up in 1861 by A.E. Brooks and was originally a hotel and restaurant. The main occupant was “The European House” and it had access from Railroad St. The oldest photos of Willimantic show it as a 3-4 story building. The 1889 City Directory shows the Main St. storefront as housing “D.H. Henken – Merchant Tailor, Atwood Block”
April10.jpg
Close
Filename=April10.jpg Filesize=113KB Dimensions=1024x728 Date added=Apr 10, 2010
22 Bank St.The 1888 City Directory says the location was used by the Maxwell Brothers Livery Stable. In 1899, Thomas Smith ,successor to the Smith Brothers, had an ad in the Directory promoting his business. It read, “Livery and Undertaker (Hearses and carriages furnished for funerals). By 1915 the building went back to being a simple livery stable run by Dana Morton. By 1930, the new ways had taken over and the location was used by Chauncey McFarlane Autos. In 1935 the site had become the “Club Paradise Restaurant and by 1944 it was vacant. By 1948 either a new or renovated building housed Roy Motors. Roy Motors stayed there until 1969 when the building went vacant again and by 1974, it was gone…..lost to the redevelopment plan.
   
86 files on 6 page(s) 6