ThreadCity.com

ThreadCity.com Homepage

If you have photos and would like to see them here, Contact Us


Home ::
Album list :: Search

> Gallery 10 - Buildings

10-30-14-pow-a.jpg
Close
Filename=10-30-14-pow-a.jpg Filesize=749KB Dimensions=1440x1156 Date added=Nov 06, 2014
The Central Building - pictured circa 1910The Central Building stood on the corner of Center and Union Streets. It was home, over the years, to Woods Restaurant, Wood’s Smoke Shop, a billiards room, Potvin’s Barber Shop, Durand’s Barber Shop, a shoe repair shop and a variety store. It was scheduled to be demolished as part of Willimantic's Redevelopment Plan when a fire on Oct. 31,1971 ravaged the building and left 32 people homeless.
Loomer-nickkhan.jpg
Close
Filename=Loomer-nickkhan.jpg Filesize=164KB Dimensions=1024x768 Date added=Nov 05, 2011
Recent sketch of the Loomer Opera HouseContributed by artist Nick Khan
earlybuild-tc-9.jpg
Close
Filename=earlybuild-tc-9.jpg Filesize=149KB Dimensions=1024x562 Date added=Sep 22, 2011
earlybuild-tc-6.jpg
Close
Filename=earlybuild-tc-6.jpg Filesize=128KB Dimensions=1024x626 Date added=Sep 22, 2011
tc-earlybuild-b.jpg
Close
Filename=tc-earlybuild-b.jpg Filesize=164KB Dimensions=1024x649 Date added=Sep 22, 2011
earlybuild-tc-12.jpg
Close
Filename=earlybuild-tc-12.jpg Filesize=174KB Dimensions=1024x993 Date added=Sep 22, 2011
earlybuild-tc-11.jpg
Close
Filename=earlybuild-tc-11.jpg Filesize=112KB Dimensions=1024x685 Date added=Sep 22, 2011
piccap.jpg
Close
Filename=piccap.jpg Filesize=194KB Dimensions=1024x823 Date added=Jun 03, 2010
The Capitol CinemaThe Capitol Cinema on Main Street pictured in 1930's. The movie playing is Sorrell and Son, a silent film from that year which was nominated for an Oscar. Unfortunately, it no longer exists, a victim of nitrate decay. The movie house also held vaudeville shows, and note the name on the marquis: "The Home of High Class Acts and Feature Films"
July17.jpg
Close
Filename=July17.jpg Filesize=157KB Dimensions=1024x770 Date added=Jul 17, 2010
945-953 Main St.In 1930, the occupants were Heller Grocers and C. Winfield Noyes Autos. By 1948, it was home to Heller's Beverages (945), Heller's Furnished Rooms (947), LaMorte Brothers Cigars (953) and Gaudette Plumber (953).
In 1968 the tenants were Seretny's Package Store (945), Heller's Real Estate (947) and the "Furnished Rooms" which had taken on a different address (955).
In the photo, from left to right.....the little section housed the Norwich Bulletin. Then it was LaMorte News, Max Heller Real Estate and Insurance and then Seretny's Package Store. Picture courtesy of Mick Seretny and Davie Sills
     
25 files on 2 page(s) 2