ThreadCity.com

ThreadCity.com Homepage

If you have photos and would like to see them here, Contact Us


Home ::
Album list :: Search

> Gallery 33 - Around Town

pow-8-15-13.jpg
Close
Filename=pow-8-15-13.jpg Filesize=629KB Dimensions=1200x833 Date added=Aug 15, 2013
"Quoiting at The Oaks"Members of “The Acorns” quoit team practice at their new quoit court at The Oaks. Quoits was a popular pastime/sport in Willimatic into the 1930s. There were quoit courts at Rec Park and even at the Country Club. Willimantic had two excellent quoit teams – the Shamrocks, led by Police Captain “Big Dan” Killourey, and the Acorns, led by Bill Higgins. Pic of the Week August 8, 2013
pow-aug8-2013a.jpg
Close
Filename=pow-aug8-2013a.jpg Filesize=897KB Dimensions=1200x845 Date added=Aug 08, 2013
State Senator Pierre Laramee buys the first Defense Stamps issued in Willimantic In May, 1941, Willimantic Mayor and State Senator Pierre J. “Pete” Laramee was the first in Willimantic to purchase the new Defense Savings Stamps. From left to right are Street Superintendent Alexis J. Caisse, Jr., an unidentified woman, City Clerk and Treasurer Arthur Clark, Mayor Laramee and Chief of Police Grant Bombria. Pic of the Week August 8, 2013

8-6-2015 POW-a.jpg
Close
Filename=8-6-2015 POW-a.jpg Filesize=268KB Dimensions=1738x999 Date added=Aug 06, 2015
West Main Street near the Town Farm - 1930sWe are looking for information for this week’s interesting photo. The caption says that the car is from “Leonard Brothers Garage”. This photo was taken looking west from where the old Public Works garage was on Main Street. We are told that some of the onlookers at the photo's left were public works employees.
9-25-14pow.jpg
Close
Filename=9-25-14pow.jpg Filesize=689KB Dimensions=1440x966 Date added=Sep 25, 2014
1939 Road WorkThe photo was taken on Mansfield Avenue near Pigeon Road.
9-11-14.jpg
Close
Filename=9-11-14.jpg Filesize=311KB Dimensions=2047x1513 Date added=Sep 11, 2014
Oliver Risley's ParlorThe room in last week’s photo belonged to Oliver Risley. He was the head cashier at the First National Bank. He was also an embezzler and forger. Shortly after his death, the bank collapsed due to his shady dealings. The Natchaug Silk Company and Morrison Machine came close to collapsing as well due to the forged paper. His room was located in the house at 80 Maple Avenue that was originally built in 1863 for Holland Silk Mill owner Goodrich Holland. After Risley’s death, the mansion was sold to Willimantic Mayor George Harrington. In 1903, it was sold to the Rev. Arthur deBruycker who transformed it into a convent. It is still owned by Saint Mary Parish.
7-31-14.jpg
Close
Filename=7-31-14.jpg Filesize=950KB Dimensions=1440x1010 Date added=Jul 31, 2014
Chicken Coops on Quarry StreetThis picture takes us back to a time when there were scores of poultry farms and folks who had their own chicken coops in the Windham area. The chicken coops shown in this photo were on Quarry St. Several people contacted us to say they were near Mansfield Avenue and were torn down when the doctors’ offices were built. Pic of the Week July 31, 2014
4-21-2016-pow.JPG
Close
Filename=4-21-2016-pow.JPG Filesize=295KB Dimensions=1150x1754 Date added=Apr 28, 2016
Telegraph Wire stringingThis photo was taken in back of the Willimantic railroad station and shows workmen stringing Western Union telegraph lines. The poles were also used by the telephone company and for electric power lines that originated at the Willimantic Electric Light Company. The footbridge can be seen in the background.
 
7 files on 1 page(s)