ThreadCity.com

ThreadCity.com Homepage

If you have photos and would like to see them here, Contact Us


Home ::
Album list :: Search

> Gallery 17 - Mills

pic5.jpg
Close
Filename=pic5.jpg Filesize=124KB Dimensions=1024x461 Date added=Feb 26, 2010
Company box top Willimantic spool cotton -- a company box top printed in Willimantic in 1900
pic1.jpg
Close
Filename=pic1.jpg Filesize=93KB Dimensions=1024x643 Date added=Feb 26, 2010
Windham Manufacturing CompanyThe Windham Manufacturing Company's Willimantic mills are seen here in 1907. This Company was organized in 1824, and became one of America's largest producers of "duck cloth" used extensively in sailing ship sails. The mills closed for cotton cloth production in 1928, but were home for several industries until their demolition in 1974.
pic8.jpg
Close
Filename=pic8.jpg Filesize=85KB Dimensions=1024x450 Date added=Feb 26, 2010
Windham Manufacturing CompanyThe Windham Manufacturing Company's mills were located on Bridge Street. The buildings were later occupied by the Quidnick-Windham Company, a silk manufacturing company, and after World War Two by the Electromotive Company.
pic7.jpg
Close
Filename=pic7.jpg Filesize=205KB Dimensions=1024x659 Date added=Feb 26, 2010
Natchaug Silk Mill The Natchaug Silk Mill on North Street was built in 1881/1882 by Frederick Dwight Chaffee. The factory was later taken over by the Windham Silk Company and Brand Rex. It was demolished circa 1970, and today is the site of the courthouse.
pic5m.jpg
Close
Filename=pic5m.jpg Filesize=80KB Dimensions=1024x590 Date added=Feb 26, 2010
Morrison Machine Company & Natchaug Silk CompanyThe Morrison Machine Company's factory is the wooden structure, and was located on Valley Street.
The Natchaug Silk Company's mills, built in 1888, stood on North Street. The Morrisons manufactured silk spinning machinery, and the Natchaug Company was famous for its high quality dress silk. The former company's mills were taken over by the Windham Silk Company in 1910. The latter company went into liquidation in 1895, due to a financial scandal. The Brand Company later used their mills in the 1950s.
pic3m.jpg
Close
Filename=pic3m.jpg Filesize=100KB Dimensions=1024x582 Date added=Feb 26, 2010
Smithville Manufacturing CompanyThe Smithville Manufacturing Company's cotton mills stood on the eastern side of Bridge Street. The company was well known for its high quality duck cloth, a hardwearing cotton cloth that was used in sailing ship sails, and in sailors' uniforms. Cotton cloth had been weaved on this site since the early 1820s. The mills were demolished in 1940. The view on the right is taken from atop a Main Street business block and shows the company's dam and its stone worker housing in the bottom right hand corner.
picm2.jpg
Close
Filename=picm2.jpg Filesize=117KB Dimensions=1024x709 Date added=Feb 26, 2010
Turner Silk MillThe Turner Silk Mill, stood on the western corner of Bank St.and Valley St. It was built in 1888. The company went into liquidation in 1917, and was later used by the Willimantic Trade School. It was demolished in 1970.
pic4m.jpg
Close
Filename=pic4m.jpg Filesize=97KB Dimensions=1024x646 Date added=Feb 26, 2010
Smithville Manufacturing CompanyAnother view of the Smithville Manufacturing Company
3-23-2017.jpg
Close
Filename=3-23-2017.jpg Filesize=270KB Dimensions=1466x2047 Date added=Mar 23, 2017
Quidnick-Windham Mfg. Co. smokestackThis was the smokestack of the Quidnick-Windham Manufacturing Company on Bridge Street. It was on the southwest corner of their ā€œLā€ shaped building. In the 1940s, the buildings were bought and used by Electro-Motive.
pic1m.jpg
Close
Filename=pic1m.jpg Filesize=108KB Dimensions=1024x659 Date added=Feb 26, 2010
Chaffee Silk MillThe Chaffee Silk Mill, pictured on the corner of Church and Valley in a building erected in 1872. J. Dwight Chaffee manufactured high quality silk thread and silk fishing lines from this site, well into the 20th century. This building was also fell victim to early 1970s city redevelopment, and today is the site of the Windham Courthouse.
picm6.jpg
Close
Filename=picm6.jpg Filesize=98KB Dimensions=1024x678 Date added=Feb 26, 2010
Holland Silk CompanyThe Holland Silk Company's mills manufactured high quality silk thread in Willimantic from 1864 until 1937, the year the company located to Pennsylvania. The Holland brothers came from neighboring Mansfield, one of the first towns in the United States to manufacture silk thread.
pic08.jpg
Close
Filename=pic08.jpg Filesize=163KB Dimensions=1024x705 Date added=Jan 23, 2011
Asa and Seth Jillson's 1826 cotton mill Asa and Seth Jillson's 1826 cotton mill can be seen in this 1916 photograph. It stood almost opposite to the entrance to Jackson Street. The entrance to the Thread City Crossing is located several feet to the west of where this historic mill was located.
mills-pollack.jpg
Close
Filename=mills-pollack.jpg Filesize=110KB Dimensions=1024x594 Date added=Jun 12, 2011
Conantville Silk Mill Mansfield's Conantville Silk Mill was built just before the Civil War. It was taken over by Max Pollack in the early 20th century to manufacture cotton thread. The old mill building is perhaps known to locals as the Shaboo Club, which burnt down in the late 1970s. The Eastbrook Shopping Mall stands on the site today
mills-tc-5-pollack.jpg
Close
Filename=mills-tc-5-pollack.jpg Filesize=87KB Dimensions=1024x731 Date added=Apr 23, 2012
mills-tc-4.jpg
Close
Filename=mills-tc-4.jpg Filesize=130KB Dimensions=1024x638 Date added=Apr 23, 2012
mills-tc-3.jpg
Close
Filename=mills-tc-3.jpg Filesize=177KB Dimensions=1024x667 Date added=Apr 23, 2012
38 files on 3 page(s) 1