ThreadCity.com

ThreadCity.com Homepage

If you have photos and would like to see them here, Contact Us


Home ::
Album list :: Search

> Gallery 03 - Willimantic

pic1c.jpg
Close
Filename=pic1c.jpg Filesize=103KB Dimensions=1024x746 Date added=Feb 26, 2010
The Thread City The Thread City. Look at this photograph carefully. It is the frontispiece to the H. W. Rich's Thread City publication. But is this actually Willimantic? If so, where was the photograph taken? Also, can anyone name the buildings? We suspect that this is the photograph of another town, and that somewhere there is a book that boasts a picture of Willimantic.
pic2c.jpg
Close
Filename=pic2c.jpg Filesize=80KB Dimensions=1024x568 Date added=Feb 26, 2010
Willimantic Water Works Pumping Station The Willimantic Water Works Pumping Station is located just across the border in the town of Mansfield, Connecticut. It was built in 1888, and is still used to pump drinking water to area residents.
pic3c.jpg
Close
Filename=pic3c.jpg Filesize=97KB Dimensions=1024x586 Date added=Feb 26, 2010
Willimantic AlmshouseThe Willimantic Almshouse was built in 1877. It provided assistance to the needy and poor of the borough, which were housed, and employed for their board in the establishment's farm. It was demolished in the 1950s. The Friendly's Restaurant stands on this site today.
pic3.jpg
Close
Filename=pic3.jpg Filesize=106KB Dimensions=1024x670 Date added=Feb 26, 2010
Post OfficePic of the week - October 28, 2011
This picture was taken during the construction of the old Willimantic Post Office. The building, constructed with Indiana limestone, was finished in 1910
pic1w.jpg
Close
Filename=pic1w.jpg Filesize=129KB Dimensions=1024x659 Date added=Feb 26, 2010
Town HallWindham's beautiful town hall, built in 1896, and located on Main Street in downtown Willimantic. It has changed little since this 1909 photograph.
pow-11-29-12-chron.jpg
Close
Filename=pow-11-29-12-chron.jpg Filesize=563KB Dimensions=1440x1003 Date added=Nov 29, 2012
Pic of the Week - November 29, 2012This week’s rare picture is courtesy of the Windham Historical Society. It is the Prospect St. façade of the original Windham High School. It was built in 1896 was destroyed by fire in 1913 This picture was made from a collection of glass negatives that were at the Jillson House.
courthouse.JPG
Close
Filename=courthouse.JPG Filesize=144KB Dimensions=1024x644 Date added=Oct 31, 2012
courthouse-2.JPG
Close
Filename=courthouse-2.JPG Filesize=151KB Dimensions=1024x767 Date added=Oct 31, 2012
courthouse-3.jpg
Close
Filename=courthouse-3.jpg Filesize=139KB Dimensions=664x1024 Date added=Oct 31, 2012
courthouse-4.JPG
Close
Filename=courthouse-4.JPG Filesize=102KB Dimensions=1024x663 Date added=Oct 31, 2012
tc-willi-6.jpg
Close
Filename=tc-willi-6.jpg Filesize=358KB Dimensions=1024x761 Date added=Oct 31, 2012
April03.jpg
Close
Filename=April03.jpg Filesize=137KB Dimensions=1024x606 Date added=Apr 01, 2010
Willimantic Water Works 1936 construction of the treatment facility (the dam had been built many years before). The 1889 History of Windham County, Connecticut by Richard M. Bayles says, “Yet another fine drive, but somewhat longer, is the one north through Mansfield street to the Storrs agricultural school. On this route is passed the Willimantic Water Works pumping station. The Natchaug river is dammed at this point, forming a beautiful lake, with grounds laid out very tastily as a small park.
April03a.jpg
Close
Filename=April03a.jpg Filesize=203KB Dimensions=1024x778 Date added=Apr 10, 2010
Willimantic Water WorksThat same work gives a fairly comprehensive history of the Water Works, including this piece, "A dam and pumping station, and engineer's house were erected at Conantville, about one and a half miles north of the village, on the Natchaug, and a reservoir was built on Hosmer mountain, south of the village."
tc-willi-7~0.jpg
Close
Filename=tc-willi-7~0.jpg Filesize=360KB Dimensions=1024x628 Date added=Oct 31, 2012
pic2.jpg
Close
Filename=pic2.jpg Filesize=128KB Dimensions=1024x658 Date added=Feb 26, 2010
Buckingham House 1906The Buckingham House can be seen on this 1906 postcard view of the Windham Town Hall.
pic3w.jpg
Close
Filename=pic3w.jpg Filesize=129KB Dimensions=1024x670 Date added=Feb 26, 2010
Post officeThe Willimantic post office is pictured here, shortly after its construction in 1910. This attractive building, constructed from Indiana limestone, now houses the Willimantic Brewery Company and restaurant -- probably one of the finest pubs between Boston and New York.
47 files on 3 page(s) 1