ThreadCity.com

ThreadCity.com Homepage

If you have photos and would like to see them here, Contact Us


Home ::
Album list :: Search

> Gallery 11 - Churches - Religious

neigh-oak-summit.jpg
Close
Filename=neigh-oak-summit.jpg Filesize=74KB Dimensions=1024x707 Date added=Jun 11, 2011
Ebenezer LutheranThe recently built Swedish Lutheran Church dominates the corner of Oak and Summit streets in this 1896 photograph. Swedish immigrants had organized "Den Svenska evangeliska Lutherska Ebenezerkyrkan av Willimantic" on November 17, 1889. The church was built in 1893/94, and partially rebuilt after a 1916 fire.
pic4~0.jpg
Close
Filename=pic4~0.jpg Filesize=41KB Dimensions=430x480 Date added=May 08, 2012
Saint Joseph's Roman Catholic ChurchSt. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church was built in 1876 on Jackson Street, financed by the borough's first and second generation of Irish-Americans. Up until the Civil War, Catholic church services had to be held in secret. A Belgium missionary, Father Florimond de Bruycker was also a central figure in the building's construction.
pic3~0.jpg
Close
Filename=pic3~0.jpg Filesize=52KB Dimensions=357x480 Date added=May 08, 2012
Methodist ChurchThe Willimantic Methodist Church gave its name to to Church Street. It was built in 1848, and demolished in 1974.
pic2~0.jpg
Close
Filename=pic2~0.jpg Filesize=41KB Dimensions=360x480 Date added=May 08, 2012
Congregational ChurchThe Willimantic's First Congregational Church was built in 1869/70, thanks to the generous donation of land and funds from the borough's wealthiest Congregationalists. It lost its fine spire in the 1938 hurricane.
pic1-from 20.jpg
Close
Filename=pic1-from 20.jpg Filesize=48KB Dimensions=419x480 Date added=May 08, 2012
Baptist ChurchThe Willimantic Baptist Church was built in 1844, and designed by the renowned Mansfield architect, Edmund Fitch.
pow-May 9, 2013.jpg
Close
Filename=pow-May 9, 2013.jpg Filesize=863KB Dimensions=1440x960 Date added=May 09, 2013
The Lathrop HouseThis is the Lathrop house which stood on the corner of Union and Washington (now Clark) Streets. The first Roman Catholic Mass in Willimantic was celebrated there in 1847 by the Reverend John Brady of Middletown. May 9, 2013 Pic of the Week. (Photo courtesy of Stan)
7-30-2015-POW.jpg
Close
Filename=7-30-2015-POW.jpg Filesize=392KB Dimensions=1921x1162 Date added=Jul 30, 2015
Saint Joseph's School (app. 1892)Father Florimond DeBruycker is on the left. Sister Onifried and Father Lawlor are on the right. Joseph F. Paulhus is third from the left in the front row.
earlybuild-tc-2.jpg
Close
Filename=earlybuild-tc-2.jpg Filesize=234KB Dimensions=1024x812 Date added=Sep 22, 2011
St. Mary's Church Roman Catholic Church, built in 1903 for the city's growing French Canadian population. Its ornate spires were replaced in 1956.
2-02-2017.jpg
Close
Filename=2-02-2017.jpg Filesize=363KB Dimensions=1635x1427 Date added=Feb 02, 2017
Saint Joseph's RectoryWe are fairly certain that the house in this week’s photo was built in 1844. It ended up being purchased by a well known Willimantic clergyman. Do you know where this building was located? Share your thoughts on our Forum or e-mail us - “threadcity@outlook.com”.
May29.jpg
Close
Filename=May29.jpg Filesize=102KB Dimensions=1024x503 Date added=May 29, 2010
The original St. Paul's Episcopal Church building and Parish House In 1883 the first St. Paul's Church was erected at the present site. It was a gingerbread style church, which came in three sections from Central Village. During the turn of the century many Syrian people joined the church, and the little church was bulging at its seams. In 1912 the present church was built. "
   
10 files on 1 page(s)