If you have photos and would like to see them here, Contact Us

Home ::
Album list :: Search

> Gallery 09 - Early Scenes

Scan_Pic0003 2.jpg
Filename=Scan_Pic0003 2.jpg Filesize=287KB Dimensions=1320x1296 Date added=Feb 19, 2012
1888Here's a great picture of Church St. during the blizzard of 1888. Picture courtesy of the Windham Historical Society.
Filename=mainst-nickkhan.jpg Filesize=85KB Dimensions=1024x768 Date added=Nov 05, 2011
Recent sketch of 1950s WillimanticContributed by artist Nick Khan
Filename=8-3-2017-pow.jpg Filesize=145KB Dimensions=1024x733 Date added=Aug 03, 2017
Junction of Main Street and Columbia Ave.The photo shows a farmhouse at the junction of today’s Main Street and Columbia Avenue. Part of the farm was included in the land taken for the New Willimantic Cemetery.
pow - 01-31-2013.jpg
Filename=pow - 01-31-2013.jpg Filesize=345KB Dimensions=1024x745 Date added=Jan 31, 2013
Clubhouse of the Nipnet Canoe ClubPic of the Week - January 31, 2013. Nipnet Canoe Club. The clubhouse was built on the south side of the Willimantic River about a quarter mile from the Quidnick-Windham Mfg. Company’s dam and was later doubled in size. It was destroyed by fire in the early 1930s. The club was active in Willimantic, especially in the early 1920s.
Filename=pic2.jpg Filesize=155KB Dimensions=1024x765 Date added=Mar 13, 2010
Thread City SquareThread City Square pictured in 1908. This area stood across from the American Thread Mills One, Five and Six, and the old turnpike to Norwich.
pow - 01-24-2013b.jpg
Filename=pow - 01-24-2013b.jpg Filesize=82KB Dimensions=511x352 Date added=Jan 24, 2013
Ayer Farm - Pleasant St. at the Lebanon linePic of the Week - January 24, 2013. The Ayer Farm was on Pleasant Street at the Lebanon town line. The farm was one of Willimantic’s largest suppliers of ice until April, 1934 when the five connected ice house buildings were destroyed by fire along with several tons of ice.
Filename=pic3.jpg Filesize=127KB Dimensions=1024x635 Date added=Mar 13, 2010
Industrial Willimantic in 1908Industrial Willimantic in 1908. Note the 1850s gasworks to the right, and the 1820s Smithville mills at Bridge Street. This shot was taken from the footbridge.
Filename=stan-ice-b.jpg Filesize=845KB Dimensions=1656x1131 Date added=May 16, 2013
Ice Delivery in WillimanticThis photo was taken on the High St. side of the Town Hall. It shows the delivery wagon of the Ayer’s ice house. The two principal suppliers of ice in Willimantic were Eaton of Mansfield and Ayer, which was on Pleasant St. at the Lebanon line. Due to public outcry over the rising cost of ice, by 1913, Willimantic began a short-lived municipal ice business and harvested ice near the Pumping Station. May 9, 2013 Pic of the Week
Filename=10-2-14pow.jpg Filesize=906KB Dimensions=1440x914 Date added=Oct 09, 2014
Spellman's Market Delivery WagonHere is the delivery wagon of Spellman’s North Street Market. It is parked in front of Young’s Hotel. Young’s later became the Johnson House which was gutted by a fire in 1915. The fire had started in the Natchaug Garage in back of the hotel and then spread to the hotel and the Thread City Garage, seen in back of the wagon’s driver.
Filename=pow-06-14-12.jpg Filesize=129KB Dimensions=1024x733 Date added=Jun 14, 2012
Potter Farm - West Main Street and Columbia RoadPic of the Week - June 14, 2012
The Potter Farm. Evidently the city bought a large portion of the Potter Farm in 1909 for the expansion of the "New Willimantic Cemetery". We believe the house sat in the approximate location where the Shell Chateau once stood --or the gas station at the "Y" intersection today. But of course the cemetery is on the other side of Columbia Rd..
Filename=june30-2011.jpg Filesize=82KB Dimensions=1024x557 Date added=Jun 30, 2011
Wagon team in front of Town Hall.Pic of the Week - June 30, 2011
The building pictured is just to the left of the Town Hall. During the '38 hurricane, the top floor was damaged and then later removed. Butch Ives wrote, " The boiler & wagon appears to be the same as one in my Postcard Collection. Postcard is identified as Boiler for Pollock Mills Renovation.". Paul Ashton wrote, "The building with the Hayden Real Estate advertisement is interesting. The current building is the same size but one story (fire, partial rebuild maybe?). I would assume Hayden St. is named after old Willard since the ad talks of building lots and his office was on Pleasant St.". Paul is correct - actually, Willard Hayden had three streets named after him - Willard Street, Hayden Street and Hayden's Row (now Vermont Drive).
Filename=May05.jpg Filesize=133KB Dimensions=987x1024 Date added=May 05, 2011
Lincoln SquarePic of the Week - May 05, 2011
Lincoln Square. We like the picture because it is taken from an angle different from the usual pictures of this area and it points back to times when traffic was not a problem.
12 files on 1 page(s)